Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sarah Bethany Birthday

As promised Sarah's birth story. I am sharing all the details and am pretty graphic. This is for my own memory later so just know you have been warned ;)

 Monday night March 19th I went in for my induction due to having high blood pressure. As a back story I am not a fan of "social inductions" inductions cause you are tired of being pregnant, cause you want to pick the birth day etc. I was very disappointed to have to be inducted as I wanted to have a natural childbirth and was very vocal about still wanting as natural as possible. I wanted Sarah safe first and for most but I did not want to push things to fast adding drugs that could cause me to have to have a c-section.

Oh lordy! 38weeks6days as we checked into the hospital


We got there at 8 pm and got settled and hooked up to the monitors and they checked me and I was 3cm and 60% effaced. The nurse said my cervix was lower than she would have guessed and said everything is there for a successful induction in her opinion. @ 9:30pm they inserted the cervadil and I laid there still till 11:30. At 11 the nurse brought me an Ambien so I could sleep and get some rest before the next morning and be rested. Little did we know how the next several hours would go.

 At 1:30am I woke and needed to go to the bathroom a normal routine in the middle of the night, but I could barely get up and P had to help me to the bathroom cause I had the shakes so bad. We thought I was having an allergic reaction to either the Cervadil or Ambien my tongue felt swollen and I kept biting it while trying to talk to him and the nurse. I got back in bed and back to sleep till just before 3am.

P was sleeping so I called the nurse to help me to the bathroom which woke P up. I was trying to be nice and let him sleep but I think he was on edge. I got up to go to the bathroom and could tell I was going to get sick so I asked for a barf bag (I had been getting sick @ 3am several times a week for the last 2 weeks from heart burn so we were not surprised) I filled up 2 bags and had diarrhea- sorry for the TMI but it does not get better from here. I got back in bed after cleaning up and while the nurse was rehooking up my monitors I asked her if she was a betting woman, when did she think that I would deliver and she thought before lunch probly before 10am. She left the room and me and P turned off the lights and tried to settle into sleep.

 Not 2 minutes later I felt a pop high in my stomach and told P I thought my water broke. He said huh and then he could hear the pop and the gush. I called the nurse back in and she came and checked and sure enough my water broke so the took the cervidal out and I was 4 cm. The nurse also said that the sac of fluid was still on her head. I had P call our Doula -she had offered to come earlier but I told her there was no point to her coming and watching me sleep. The nurse hooked up my IV since I was GBS+ and very quickly my contractions got pretty intense.

It was not what they told us in class of you feel it starting and then peak and rolling back down. I felt it go down and right back at the peak every 2 mins. My doula, Amy got the right at 3:45 cause of a storm and my Dr had called and said for them to put a catheter in and I did not want one and no one could tell me why the Dr ordered it. So I asked to go to the bathroom again and P and Amy helped me in there where I begain having contraction one on top of the other the only relief I could get was to roll my hips like I was hula hooping on the toliet. At this point I had no clue how far along I was and thou I wanted to not have any painkillers I told them if it gets much worst I am going to have to have something to take the edge off. I was thinking I would have hours left to go. We got me back to the bed and they told me my Dr was on the way in and that she wanted to check the tapes on baby to see if I needed the catheter. My Dr got there at 4:02 and she checked me and really calmly said I was complete!

 Everyone in the room started to run around. I asked to go to the bathroom again and they told it was the pressure of the baby. I told them um no I really have to go everyone said that is the baby but it is ok just go. When I did go whatever was left of the sac and in my bowels went every where it felt like and I started grunting which all the nurses and Amy said the baby is coming. They put oxygen on me and everyone was running around frantic to get the table set up with the tools since no one knew I was already to go. I laid there and grunted and started pushing with every contraction and after a couple my Dr got at the end of me and said I needed to grab behind my knees and push that she was crowning.

 With 3 pushes her head was out which I was ready to take a break but P was telling me to push cause my Dr was pulling her head and he was afraid it would come off, and 2 more the rest of her. The most surreal feeling in the world!! they set her on me while I delivered the afterbirth and I did have a 2nd degree tear so I needed to get stitched up. The storms Monday night where in full force and while my Dr. was stitching me up the lights went out several times. I joked that I am sure she is good and can do this with her eyes closed could she wait for the lights to come back on to not have to prove how good she is. Then there was some confusion as to how many supplies they brought in the room so they had to check me and order an X-ray. Just goes to show how fast everything happened.

An hour old

She was born at 4:13am after an hour and 13 mins from my water breaking. Apparently it is called a precipitous delivery and is not that common for 1st time mothers. Thou not the natural birth I thought I would have to fight for with an induction I could not ask for a better delivery.  Sarah Bethany was 6lbs. 15oz, 19 inches long and we think she is pretty much perfection. We had to stay an extra day since I did not get a full course of penicillin for the GBS but everything checked out fine she had a mild case of jaunidice but did not need any light treatment thank goodness.

Skin to Skin time


We left on Thursday to go home and then the real fun began!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment